1. Pull out your entire wardrobe (and any clothing you have packed away) and sort them into two piles a. Clothes you love and wear regularly (approx 20% of wardrobe) b. Clothes you hardly ever wear (approx 80% of wardrobe)
2. Then organize the above two piles into the following four categories a.
Dry cleaning b. Mending and alteration c. Give away d. Pack away
3. Start with pile 1a. (the ‘Love’ pile) – check each garment for dry cleaning and mending; if either is needed put the item into the correct category as above.
If no dry cleaning or mending is required, put the garment onto one of your brand new matching hangers. Start setting up your wardrobe from this point
4. Next go onto pile 1b. (the ‘Hardly ever wear’ pile)
a. Firstly, be strong! Go through the pile leaving emotions and memories out of it. Items that no longer fit, are damaged, aged, pilling, or no longer reflect how you like to dress, need to go in the ‘give away’ pile. b. The next step is to try on every piece of clothing that is now left. Look carefully at yourself in front of a full length mirror. Ask yourself the following questions to help you decide what category these garments belong in:
i. How do I look and feel? ii. What do I need in my wardrobe to be able to wear this more? iii. Does it need a slight adjustment to fit better? iv. Is the cost of the adjustment worth the benefit I will get from the garment?
As you start answering these questions place the garments in one of the four main categories described above in step 2
5. Place piles 2a. 2b. and 2c. into large plastic bags and place them in your car immediately so that you deal with them right away
6. Place pile 2d. (‘Pack away’ pile) in vacuum bags, taking up as little space as possible. Then place in an attic, garage or at the top of a wardrobe in your house
You are now officially ready for the season ahead! Remember that this is an ongoing process. Don’t expect to get it right the first time,
you will get better and better at this process the more you do it.
If you get to the end of this process and you are feeling very disheartened with your wardrobe, please contact one of our trained stylists to
book yourself a one-on-one styling session.